Recipe #9 – Chicken with Pepperoni-Marinara Sauce
Original recipe can be found HERE.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning after 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
What I did, or how I screwed it up and ate it anyway:
I discovered this recipe at work while cataloging magazines. I opened up the latest issue of Cooking Light and it opened on this page. I looked down and thought “I have all this stuff in my house RIGHT NOW.” What are the odds? So in the name of using up more party leftovers I made this yummy recipe.
Okay, so my basil wasn’t exactly fresh… it was a little wilty, and I had about 25 pieces of pepperoni left so I tossed them all in, with a few set aside to put on top. I didn’t have fresh garlic either, but keep a jar of the pre-minced stuff in the fridge. I had two boneless chicken breasts and I have no idea what they weighed, but I cut them thing to be more cutlet-like.
Oh, and I didn’t have marinara sauce, but I did have several cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. I used a whole can of sauce and about a third of a jar of diced tomatoes. I realized as I was making it that this was considerably more than 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce, but I’m not known for my math skills. Oh well!
I didn’t use the cooking spray ’cause I got non-stick pans for Christmas, y’all and I’m told cooking spray will ruin them. I sprinkled the chicken with black pepper and cooked it thoroughly, because salmonella’s a bitch, in one pan and prepared the sauce in another. I didn’t notice that the pepperoni should be coarsely chopped so they went in whole… it doesn’t get much coarser than that I s’pose.
I didn’t have an ovenproof skillet because someone soaked my cast iron pan to clean it and it got all rusty and I’m lazy so I chucked it. Instead I used a glass baking pan, which I didn’t pre-warm. I coated the bottom with olive oils, put the nekkid chicken in and covered with sauce and cheese. I learned that yes, my oven does indeed have a broiler setting so I heated her up put the whole thing in until the cheese melted – about 3-4 minutes.
OMFG was this ever awesome. Ron entered the room and said “Holy crap that smells so good!” It tasted enough like pizza that we will be calling it pizza chicken from now on. I served it with white rice because we were sick of pasta. I will be making this again.